A Traditional Variety Theatre in the Heart of Derby
 

The History of the Derby Hippodrome
by John M Taylor
Click Images to enlarge

The Famous Craggs
The Famous Craggs. The show for 17 August 1914

Opening in 1914 the Derby Hippodrome - Music Hall and Palace of Varieties, came late to the people of the town. The architects were Marshall and Tweedy of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Built on the corner of Green Lane and Macklin Street it was on the site of Derby's first private lunatic asylum and close to the slums of Trafalgar Street and Waterloo Street in the Little City area of the town. The more comfortable houses in Compton and Wilson Streets were set to house costumiers and theatre staff as well as offering accommodation to visiting stars.

 
HOME HOME
The History The History
The Future? The Future
Then and Now The and Now
Our Links Our Links
The Credits The Credits
Contact Us Contact Us
 
 
  Back to Gallery
© The HardCow Production Co.